The CIM Surrey ‘Meet a Mentor’ service was launched in 2010 to meet the needs of young marketers in need of advice and guidance in the early stages of their career.
The service has proven to be very popular with members and we now have over 50 members participating as either mentors or mentees. If you feel your career is in need of advice and guidance from an experienced marketer, or if you feel that you wish to give something back to young marketers by becoming a mentor, then read on. The service is free for mentees and mentors give their time and advice at no cost.
Why have a Mentor?
- Gain valuable insight and advice from someone who has already taken the path you are considering
- Increase your chances of success with guidance and support from someone who has faced similar choices to the ones you are facing
- Build your confidence and understanding of the knowledge, skills and experience you need to drive your career forward
- Take responsibility of your on-going personal development to help secure your career plan
Why become a Mentor?
- Give the next generation of marketers the opportunity to learn from your expertise and experiences.
- Help young professionals choose the right skills and experience to achieve their career ambitions.
- Keep in touch and be reminded of the challenges faced by those working in the heat of the battle.
- Earn up to 21 CPD hours towards your Chartered Marketer status.
Though developing a career plan is a joint role between the mentor and mentee, it is the responsibility of the mentee to manage and execute the plan. The mentor will:
- Set up the first face-to-face meeting at a time and place convenient for both of you
- Ensure that the mentee has an effective plans with milestones
- Be available in person or by telephone to discuss the plan with you at least monthly
The first meeting will likely take up to 2 hours and subsequent meetings an hour.
If you are interested in joining as either a mentor or mentee please email the CIM Surrey Mentoring Service on email@example.com for further details.